Monday 9 July 2012

What is Marvel's greatest ever super-team?

Rampant Democracy
First of all I need to thank everyone who took part in my poll to discover from where this site's awesome fan-base has originated. It was certainly interesting to discover how important blogs and search engines have been and how not-at-all-important social networking sites are.

But no one with any sense wants to read about that old rubbish. They want to hear about comics.

Recently I've had a request – and, for once, it's not the usual one. Boston Bill's asked me to put together a poll to find Marvel's greatest super-team of all time.

I could be brave and put the poll together without any input from others but I'd be guaranteed to miss out someone you love. Therefore, I'd like your nominations for the title. In a couple of days from now, I'll use your nominations to construct the poll - and at last the world shall know just what is Marvel's greatest super-team of them all.

14 comments:

Kid said...

The Fantastic Four.

(By the way, Steve. did you know you can turn off that word verification feature which makes it so awkward to leave a comment?)

Steve W. said...

I thought I had turned it off. I shall see to it at once.

Simon B said...

The Great Lakes Avengers? The Young Warriors? The Liberty Legion? Captain Savage And His Leatherneck Raiders?

...well, no...
it's the FF innit?

Boston Bill said...

The FF were the first 'family' team;
I loved the concept behind the Invaders;
The X-Men will be nominated; but alas, too many spin-off teams.

I nominate the Defenders, the original non-team (no fixed membership, headquarters, by-laws, etc.); any team that can work both the Hulk and Doctor Strange into the line-up has to be the greatest!

spiderkev said...

The Thunderbolts certainly had an original concept.

Anonymous said...

I always had a soft spot for the Invaders, (the early, first 20 issues of) the Defenders and the Champions _(would SHIELD count?)- but it's gotta be between FF, X=Men and the Avengers imho - McScotty

James the Reviewer said...

The Avengers and X-Men will always be my favorites.

-James

Anonymous said...

Of course it has to be Earth's mightiest heroes - the Avengers!

The X-men are popular but their status as society's outcasts would mean they wouldn't stick around humans too long.

The Defenders are definitely the greatest 'non-team'. If they had more structure they would be no. 1!

I've always have a soft spot in my heart for the FF but they'd be beaten down by the other teams due to sheer force of numbers. (Why, oh, why didn't Stan Lee name them the Fantastic Squad or Legion or something like that?)

- Mike from Trinidad & Tobago.

Anonymous said...

The immortal... Avengers West Coast. The legendary.... X-force... I dunno, it gets hard after FF, Avengers, and X-men. Does it have to be good guys? If not, that opens up whole new vistas, like the Frightful Four (Paste-pot Pete, anyone?). - Eddie V.

Steve W. said...

Eddie, you can indeed nominate bad guys if you want.

Dougie said...

Some versions of the Avengers are contenders for the greatest ever super-team. Since there were rosters that included Dr. Druid, Rage and Justice, however, it has to be the FF.

Bear Boy said...

Well, in a nod to the Distinguished Competition how's about the Squadron Sinister/Supreme (whichever iteration you prefer). Also can't neglect one of my favourite Gerber creations, the Headmen.

Simayl said...

Marvel's greatest ever super-team has to be Stan Lee and Jack Kirby!

Steve W. said...

Thanks for all your suggestions. The poll's now up, so nominations are now closed. :)