Monday 14 July 2014

Random comics I have owned. Part Two.

Quiver, mortals! It's time to cower once more before the raging power of nostalgia - because it's time for Part Two of my random look back at various comics I used to own when I was barely more than knee-high to a Kurrgo.

Superboy #191,, the kid with the super-brain

It's one of my childhood faves, as Superboy re-encounters a child genius with a knack for landing him in trouble.
The Flash #227

I recall nothing of this book's contents. I do however still dig that cover.

But just what is the way in which the Flash dies?
X-Men #44, Red Raven

Purchased from an indoor market in Blackpool, in the summer of 1972, this was one of the first American comics I ever owned.

As you can guess, it has the Angel vs Red Raven, as they meet in the latter's city in the clouds.
Captain America #135

Yet another of my very earliest American comics, as Cap and Falc come up against a scientist who turns himself into a talking gorilla.

The gorilla was fine but I remember being most taken at the time by the colour scheme of Cap's costume.
From Beyond the Unknown #24

A comic strip artist inadvertently creates a winged bad guy who I seem to recollect has plans to conquer the world.

Exactly how it all plays out, I don't remember. Did the artist foil the villain's mighty plans by erasing him/redrawing him/spilling ink over the paper he'd originally been drawn on?
Phantom Stranger #26, Frankenstein, Mike Kaluta

The Phantom Stranger meets Frankenstein's monster.

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for DC's take on the monster, I do remember enjoying this one.

I seem to recall there being some sort of demonic possession thing going on and some typically rugged artwork by Jim Aparo inside.

I believe the cover to be by Mike Kaluta.
Conan the Barbarian #52

I'm pretty sure this is the first colour Conan comic I ever owned, as our hero comes up against a gold statue of a scorpion that inconveniently comes to life.

The cover's always driven me up the wall. I'm convinced John Buscema borrowed Conan's pose from a Jack Kirby panel but I've never been able to work out in which comic that panel first appeared.
Where Monsters Dwell #15

Hooray! Marvel's reprint mag gives us Kraa, who I seem to recall being surprisingly helpful in a crisis and coming to a sad end.

Poor old Kraa.

1 comment:

Gey Blabby said...

It isn't the colour scheme of Cap's costume that most intrigues me in that cover, it's the gorilla's choice of lipstick shade — looks like he's been spending too much time in front of his make-up mirror.