Thursday 24 May 2018

May 24th, 1978 - Marvel UK, 40 years ago this week.

The Proclaimers may have claimed they'd walk five hundred miles and then walk five hundred more in order to drop dead but they had nothing on Mavis Hutchinson, 53, who, forty years ago this week, became the first woman to run across the United States. And she didn't even drop dead at the end of it. You see, Proclaimers? That's how you impress people.

But what of the stars of our favourite British comics in that week? Had they gone the extra mile? Or were they merely in danger of losing their way?

Star Wars Weekly #16

I do love the way Marvel get round the danger of being sued for ripping off The Magnificent Seven. They have eight people in the story. Who needs lawyers when you have that kind of cunning?

Other than that, I can shed little light on the contents of this issue. I assume the Star-Lord and Watcher reprints are still ongoing, as it's only about a week since they started.

But, if the internet is to be believed, this issue's Star Wars tale features a villain called Serji-X Arrogantus whose name and appearance were based on that of cartoonist Sergio Aragonés, which all seems a very strange thing indeed. I'm not sure if he should have felt flattered or insulted.

Apparently, the old duffer with the lightsabre, on the cover, is called Don-Wan Kihotay. Roy Thomas, the master of subtle satire.

Rampage #32, the Defenders, the origin of Nighthawk

Hooray! We get the secret origin of Nighthawk. I've read this tale but recall little of it. I think it turns out he had a troubled childhood and there may be a scene where he's stood at some kind of metaphorical crossroads and has to choose the right path.

I have little doubt that he does indeed choose the right path. That's why he's a hero.

Except for when he's a villain.

I'm also convinced there are flashbacks aplenty in this tale, including ones appertaining to his time battling the Avengers and then Daredevil.

The Complete Fantastic Four #35, Luke Cage and the Wrecker

It's a nightmare come true, as, robbed of his powers by Hulkified gamma rays, the Thing has to leave the FF and be replaced by Luke Cage.

While I have nothing against Luke Cage, it's madness. You can't replace the Thing in the FF. Ben Grimm is the FF.

That aside, it's intriguing to see the Wrecker show up. I do have a suspicion that he's going to flatten the rest of the FF but Luke Cage will somehow come to the rescue and prove his value to the team. No doubt, this will make Ben realise he's no longer needed and will make him feel very sad indeed.

Mighty World of marvel #295, the Hulk vs Captain Barracuda

I don't remember the tale very much but I have a suspicion that firing a ray at the Hulk which turns people into primitives probably won't have any affect at all on him, as he's already fairly primitive.

Also, does Captain Barracuda really think it's a good idea to make the Hulk even more stupid than he already is? Wouldn't that just make him more dangerous?

Super Spider-Man #276, the Man-Beast

It looks like Spider-Man's seemingly interminable battle with the Man-Beast is coming to a head. I don't remember anything about what happens inside but that's quite a nice cover by Larry Lieber, which makes excellent use of its white spaces, I feel.

16 comments:

Killdumpster said...

Definitely agree with your opinion that the FF without the Thing aren't as "fantastic". As far as Luke Cage goes, when I read the Heroe For Hire title I didn't interpret his power level to be at "Thing" level. I thought he just had marginally better than human strength with steel-hard skin as his main power.
Back in the 70's there probably weren't too many heroes in the phone book, so Reed took the easy way out till he could build Ben's exo-skeleton armor (probably knowing,from past experience, that Ben was going to change back anyway).

Killdumpster said...

I wonder if Mavis Hutchinson wore Proclaimers style glasses on when she did her run. That style may have been fashionable for older women back in the day. Lord knows my mom had the "cat's eye" glasses till 1975!

Steve W. said...

I too never got the impression that Luke Cage was anywhere like as strong as the Thing when I read his solo adventures.

You never hear of women called Mavis anymore. I wonder if it's extinct as a name.

Killdumpster said...

The only other one I ever heard of was Mavis Staples.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

As a former dweller-near-the-ghettos of Gary, Indiana, I wish they'd a left Luke as a Hero for Hire in the ghetto. Didn't even need to be in NYC. Could have been Chicago or LA. USA has plenty of ghettos. Heck, he could a gone from ghetto to ghetto cleaning up those "motherless freakin' pieces of scum" as he was fond of saying!

Also wish he'd never really mixed with the super baddies like Doc Doom. Gang bangers, off beat villains like the Wrecker, maybe a Batroc or something... they should have left ole Luke in his native surroundings.

Speaking of Luke, you ever see Cool Hand Luke?

Yep, I have to agree that as originally conceived there is no way Luke would be in the same league as Ben Grimm. Maybe Aunt Petunia...? (Who was actually quite the looker if I remember correctly, lol.)

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

According to that ten-volume Offical Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1987), the Thing can lift 85 tons. Luke Cage 3 tons. Not even close.

Although there is that poster from a few years later with superheroes sorted into four rows. The one why people ask WTF the Silver Surfer is in the third row with Spider-Man and not the top row with Hulk and Thor. I have a feeling Luke Cage may be rated too highly on that poster.

Tell you what, I'll see if I can find it for y'all.

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...


Got it. It was in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #15. It's from 1981, six years before OHMU. It's three pages long and you can find it at the link below, albeit with the second and third pages the wrong way round.

Luke Cage, Iron Man & Black Bolt all too high. She-Hulk, Silver Surfer & Colossus all too low. But these are Spider-Man's opinions, rather than the true rankings. Maybe next time don’t ask Spider-Man for his opinions on who should place the Thing.

http://marvel1980s.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/1981-just-how-strong-is-spider-man.html

Steve W. said...

Dangermash, thanks for that link. I'll see if I can write a post about that strength comparison chart, next Tuesday. It looks to be good and controversial.

Charlie, I have seen Cool Hand Luke but not since I was a child, so my memories of it are fuzzy.

Anonymous said...

I've seen Cool Hand Luke too - Paul Newman eating all those boiled eggs...

On May 24th 1978 I was just SIX DAYS AWAY from seeing Star Wars on May 30th!!

Another Mavis? The legendary Mavis Riley from Coronation Street (only British readers will know who I mean).

Killdumpster said...

Cool Hand Luke is one of my favorite Newman movies. That and Hombre. Virtually plays the same character.

Anonymous said...

I remember that strength-rating article from the Spider-Man annual. I thought it was mostly accurate.
But Iron Man has no business being in the upper tier. I don't buy the idea of him getting Thor-level strength, even for a couple seconds. I call B.S.!
Who does he think he is!!!

M.P.

Killdumpster said...

Maybe because he went from transistors to printed circuits back then. Lol.

Steve W. said...

Sensational Steve Does Comics update. Barring unforeseen circumstances, my post about that strength chart will be appearing sometime tomorrow, instead of next Tuesday.

Killdumpster said...

Steve-
YOU RULE ALL OF BLOGGESSNESSES!!!

If that's not a real word, it is now. Just for you, champ.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Man, I am soooo excited to see that chart!

You are truly the big bopper UK!